----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 10:14:32 on 97/10/01 GMT (by DEDATE17 at ELINK) <10258> Subject: Sharing TAPE CU between Y2K and realtime System Hi there all, is it possible to share a tape cu between a Y2K testing system and a normal production system ? The tapes are located in a dedicated Taperobotersystem, which is connected to the Y2K-system (separate range of volsers). We will connect the tape units in this robo to a production system, to copy some datas to the y2k-system with a job, which writes datas to a specific tape (VOLSER specified in DD-Statement) and shares this tape CU with the running Y2K-System. The tape unit is only online in one system at one time (prohibited by the controller). The mount of the tape is done manually (per operator command). The tapes are not known by CA1 or HSC (STK Robo) databases. Is this scenario possible ? What can happen to the controller, when connected to 2 systems with different dates ? Is it neccessary to initialize the tape before writing datas on ? Thanx in advance Thomas Engler This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Thomas Engler, System Programmer DATEV eG, Paumgartnerstr. 6-14, 90329 Nuernberg Tel: 49-911/276-3431 Fax: 49-911/276-5559 Internet E-Mail: Thomas.Engler¹datev.de ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 13:36:57 on 97/10/01 GMT (by ACLARK at ELINK) <10259> Subject: Sharing TAPE CU between Y2K and realtime System Ref: Append at 10:14:32 on 97/10/01 GMT (by DEDATE17 at ELINK) Hi Thomas, You say the tape's mounted manually via an Operator command but you also say the tapes aren't known to HSC. If you do a ">D VOL XXX" does the tape volser display? If not, I'd be interested to see what STK Operator command you can use to mount the tape that isn't known to HSC. A few things we've come across... make sure you're at HSC Level 2.0.1 with PUT9701. This is the level with Year 2000 support (VM & MVS). The CDS may contain Y2K dates for last used date/date entered if your Y2K system can communicate with the CDS/LMU. If your Y2K system is running as a guest under VM and you mounted the tape under VM before you attached it to the guest you could avoid that situation - some jobs on the Y2K machine may not like the tape being preloaded like that. We've decided to install a Wolfcreek for Y2K testing and run it as a seperate silo, seperate CDS/LMU everything. We felt the risk of a Y2K test job accessing a live tape and corrupting the data was too great when all the hosts lived in the same silo. Adrian Clark - Sears Canada Inc. IBMMAIL(CASRSAJC) / aclark@null.net ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 17:21:23 on 97/10/01 GMT (by CAMEYERS at CHGVMIC1) <10260> Subject: Expiration dates on large volumes of datasets set at 12/31/99 Customer has a large number of tape-disk datasets that will expire 12/31/99. What are the most appropirate ways to fix this, so as not to loose the datasets? i.e. Run a catalog program to alter the dates? That would seem to be the easiest. Didnt we have something like that shipped with IPOS? Is it now with the OS/390 Server Packs? Are they any special tools with OS/390 to assist/aid customers in YR2K system changes? ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 18:24:56 on 97/10/01 GMT (by GAD at KGNVMC) <10261> Subject: Expiration dates on large volumes of datasets set at 12/31/99 Ref: Append at 17:21:23 on 97/10/01 GMT (by CAMEYERS at CHGVMIC1) 12/31/99 is a never-scratch date. The datasets will *not* expire. The JCL Reference manual explicity states that dates 99.365 and 99.366 are treated as never-scratch. 99.365 is 12/31/99. Greg Dyck MVS BCP Kernel and CURE Support ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 12:28:51 on 97/10/02 GMT (by DEDATE17 at ELINK) <10262> Subject: Sharing TAPE CU between Y2K and realtime System Ref: Append at 13:36:57 on 97/10/01 GMT (by ACLARK at ELINK) Hi Adrian, thanks for response. In our production system there is a HSC with 2 ACS. We are setting up a year 2000 system with an own ACS and an own HSC Database. The tapes in this dedicated system are sure known by the Y2K HSC, so a manually operator driven mount with >M volser unit (or so) will be done correctly by the roboter. Back to my basic question: Also we want to configure a channel to the TAPE CU of the dedicated Y2K system from our production system. This production system doesnt anything know about the roboter behind these tape units and so mounts of this production system to the Y2K tape devices are not driven automatically by HSC of production system. So an operator has to mount this tape manually (by command) from the Y2K system, where this tape is known by HSC. Now my question: This tape CU is now accessed by 2 systems (production and Y2K) with different times. The units are online only in 1 system at a time. Is this scenario a problem ? Thanks in advance This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Thomas Engler, System Programmer DATEV eG, Paumgartnerstr. 6-14, 90329 Nuernberg Tel: 49-911/276-3431 Fax: 49-911/276-5559 Internet E-Mail: Thomas.Engler¹datev.de ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 12:38:25 on 97/10/02 GMT (by GAD at KGNVMC) <10263> Subject: Sharing TAPE CU between Y2K and realtime System Ref: Append at 12:28:51 on 97/10/02 GMT (by DEDATE17 at ELINK) MVS does not pass any dates to the tape subsystem itself (though there are dates imbedded in the data to be written) so attaching to the subsystem will not hurt anything. The only concern known so far deals with maintenance of the subsystem. If SIMs or other device errors are presented it is difficult to impossible to correlate the errors between the current time systems and the year 2000 time systems. This may cause an increase in service time if the subsystem fails. It's probably not a big issue, but it is something to thing about. Greg Dyck MVS BCP Kernel and CURE Support ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:27:35 on 97/10/02 GMT (by ACLARK at ELINK) <10264> Subject: Sharing TAPE CU between Y2K and realtime System Ref: Append at 12:28:51 on 97/10/02 GMT (by DEDATE17 at ELINK) Hi Thomas, As Greg mentioned MVS isn't going to worry about this and the way you have it configured I can't see that there would be any impact on the production HSC - it'll look like a non-robotic drive to the production system. The timestamps on the Y2K CDS will be the current timestamp for that system and with the manual mount/dismount you should be able to control the data movement easily. This sounds like a workable scenario for moving data onto the Y2K box (we use "staging DASD" that never supposed to be online except during the copy but there's more of a chance for error doing that when people try to speed things up). Good Luck. Adrian Clark - Sears Canada Inc. IBMMAIL(CASRSAJC) / aclark@null.net ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:33:47 on 97/10/02 GMT (by JDARDIFF at ATLVMIC1) <10265> Subject: Implications of PC Hardware not being Y2K Compliant When it comes to PC hardware, I've only seen one-liners that point out that many PCs will not be Y2K compliant. I know that if you type the 'date' command on PCs, you only get a 2 digit date, but can anyone tell me what the other implications are of using a PC that was mfg back in 199x (and is not compliant) in the Year 2000. Are there certain functions performed by the BIOS, CMOS or 486/Pentium chip on the PC that will no longer work? I also don't understand what functions the operating system will not be able to perform (whether its DOS or Windows 3.11/95/NT). I would expect that the sort routines that execute in these environments do not window and therefore can only correctly sort 4 digit years, but are there any other exposures from the os level on PCs. I'm trying to get a handle on what the implications and our exposure is. Jeanne Ardiff ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 19:34:16 on 97/10/02 GMT (by Y2KTSC5 at STLVM6) <10266> Subject: Implications of PC Hardware not being Y2K Compliant Ref: Append at 16:33:47 on 97/10/02 GMT (by JDARDIFF at ATLVMIC1) IBM PCs since the AT have the century byte in the hardware. IBM PCs which are listed as NOT YEAR 2000 READY mean that the date must be manually changed after the year changes to 2000. Machines that will automatically roll over to the year 2000, are listed as year 2000 ready. PCs which have a BIOS update available for year 2000 are also year 2000 ready, with the BIOS installed. The way to test if a PC is manual or automatic: 1) at a DOS or C prompt type DATE and press enter 2) type 12-31-1999 and press enter 3) type TIME and press enter 4) type 23:59:55 and press enter 5) wait 5 or more seconds than type DATE and press enter check that the date is now 01-01-2000 6) TURN THE PC OFF AND THAN BACK ON 7) type DATE (at the DOS or C prompt); if the date is still 01-01-2000 your PC will automatically roll over to the year 2000. If the date now contains a year of 1980, it will need the date changed manually AFTER the year changes to 2000. Use the DATE command to do this. As far as software on the PC, you need to check with each manufacturer as to the year 2000 ready status. Detailed product information for IBM products can be found at URL: http://wwwyr2k.raleigh.ibm.com Year 2000 Technical Support Center (TSC5) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 23:21:45 on 97/10/02 GMT (by PIZZAZZ at STLVM20) <10267> Subject: PL/I, printable files added to VA2K Web site PL/I and printable files have been added to the VisualAge 2000 methodology Web site at http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/va2000/y2k and new tool announces and a white paper on the Millennium Language Extensions have been added to the "parent" site http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/va2000 Karen R. Barney ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 08:28:43 on 97/10/03 GMT (by PBAPETE at SYDVM1) <10268> Subject: Sharing/partitioning a 3494 ATL A customer has production and test partitions running on a 9672 sharing a 3494 ATL. They also use CA1 as the tape manager. For year2000 testing they wish to establish another partition on the 9672 and share access to the 3494 ATL, or perhaps partition off a portion of the ATL for year2000 use. Are there any exposures to operating the 3494 ATL in this way, eg. tape directory contents in the 3494 Library Manager, etc???? Ian Peters, Enterprise Systems, Perth, WA ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 13:27:41 on 97/10/03 GMT (by LEOT at TOROVM1) <10269> Subject: Implications of PC Hardware not being Y2K Compliant Ref: Append at 19:34:16 on 97/10/02 GMT (by Y2KTSC5 at STLVM6) Just in case: Before I would do what the referenced append suggests, I would boot my PC from a floppy disk (DOS - any version). If the operating system you normally use has any startup processing that looks at dates this would avoid that trap. Leo Traarbach. ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:38:25 on 97/10/03 GMT (by SKEATS at PKMFGVM3) <10270> SUBJECT: Transmittind data from Y2K time machines I saw a warning a couple of months ago suggesting that there might be an exposure to a non-time machine if data was transmitted to it from a year 2000 time machine but I have seen no further discussion about the exposure. A few questions along that line: 1) Is there a problem XMITing data from an OS/390 time machine to an MVS non-time machine? 2) Is there a problem XMITing data from an OS/390 time machine to a VM non-time machine? 3) Is there a problem FTPing data between OS/390 time machines and MVS or VM non-time machines? Thanks, John Skeats ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:48:18 on 97/10/03 GMT (by SKEATS at PKMFGVM3) <10271> SUBJECT: Changing OS/390 date backwards We have a customer who wants an OS/390 Y2K time machine and wants to be able to move the date back and forth at will. Are there any known system problems with changing the system date to an earlier date than the system was previously running with? That is, will any system software encounter problems if, for example, it encounters a timestamp in the future relative to the current system date? I'm trying to understand whether we would have to restore all packs to match when the system was at the earlier time or whether we could selectively restore datasets as needed for testing. Thanks, John Skeats ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 00:21:04 on 97/10/04 GMT (by MILLER at STLVM14) <10272> Subject: Changing OS/390 date backwards Ref: Append at 15:48:18 on 97/10/03 GMT (by SKEATS at PKMFGVM When time runs backwards, many subsystems have severe problems. So do many applications. Coding for hours worked might not be able to generate a bill, but the hours worked are negative, for instance. Roger Miller ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 13:49:52 on 97/10/04 GMT (by GAD at KGNVMC) <10273> Subject: Changing OS/390 date backwards Ref: Append at 15:48:18 on 97/10/03 GMT (by SKEATS at PKMFGVM3) It is not recommended, and results will be unpredictable. DB2 maintains timestamps within it BSDS which are used for startup and recovery purposes, and does not expect them to go backwards. The same problem occurs with the XCF couple dataset. And with IMS. Because of imbedded timestamp within *many* areas of the system I always recommend destroying all DASD volumes and restoring the system to backups made with the current date after setting the date forward. Greg Dyck MVS BCP Kernel and CURE Support ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:22:49 on 97/10/05 GMT (by SHERRY at SJFEVMX) <10274> Subject: Use of Staging DASD (was Sharing TAPE CU - Y2K and other System) Ref: Append at 16:27:35 on 97/10/02 GMT (by ACLARK at ELINK) Adrian, I am concerned over the short explanation you gave of using "staging DASD" to get information between your realtime System and your Y2K system. In order to support MVS data security and integrity issues as well as storage management, the time stamps that relate to data are very important. These include time stamps in the catalog, VTOC, and VVDS. Since these keep track of access to data sets as well as creation and update, you will be exposed to having future dates associated with datasets on your "staging DASD" when you read the data from your Y2K system. And we, IBM, do not guarantee that our products will operate correctly when the time stamp of a past operation includes a date in the future. Please be exceedingly careful about these volumes. Special care needs to be taken in determining how they will be used so as not to contaminate your production system with future dates. I would expect that normally these volumes are not online to either system. And that the catalogs referencing these data sets are also contained on these volumes and do not reference data sets not contained on these volumes. Hopefully, I've said enough to outline my concern. If you have specific questions, please ask. Sherry Goncharsky SSD Tucson - Year 2000 Representative sgoncha@us.ibm.com ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:27:47 on 97/10/05 GMT (by SHERRY at SJFEVMX) <10275> Subject: Sharing/partitioning a 3494 ATL Ref: Append at 08:28:43 on 97/10/03 GMT (by PBAPETE at SYDVM1) Ian, There are no problems expected when sharing a 3494 (or 3495) between a Y2K system and a realtime system. There are no dates shared between the operating environment and the library manager. Just leave the internal date of the library manager alone and everything will work fine. Sherry Goncharsky SSD Tucson - Year 2000 Representative sgoncha@us.ibm.com ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:35:13 on 97/10/05 GMT (by SHERRY at SJFEVMX) <10276> Subject: Changing OS/390 date backwards Ref: Append at 15:48:18 on 97/10/03 GMT (by SKEATS at PKMFGVM3) John, In order to support MVS data security and integrity issues as well as storage management, the time stamps that relate to datasets are very important. These include time stamps in the catalog, VTOC, and VVDS. Since these keep track of access to data sets as well as creation and update, you will be exposed to having future dates associated with datasets when you change your dates backwards. And we, IBM, do not guarantee that our products will operate correctly when the time stamp of a past operation includes a date in the future. Sherry Goncharsky SSD Year 2000 Rep sgoncha@us.ibm.com ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 10:23:51 on 97/10/06 GMT (by FUNSP at KULVM) <10277> Subject: Y2K support in C/370 etc. Hi, While I know that there's a certain version/release for each language product which is year 2000 ready, I'm hoping that there's a document somewhere which describes what the programmers need to do when migrating from a non Y2K ready version of a language to a Y2K ready version, to make the application Y2K ready. This includes what are the changes in the language which provide this support and how to migrate or make use of these features. Some language documentation like the "Cobol for MVS programming guide" does have such description. However, I can't seem to find similar info for C/370. Anybody out there has such info on C/370? In fact, my customer would like to have such info for other languages like Cobol, Fortran, HLASM, and OS PL/I. Thanks in advance for any contribution. Cheers, S.P.Fun, IBM Malaysia ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 13:48:28 on 97/10/06 GMT (by SORBER at ENDVM5) <10278> Subject: Y2K readiness status of REXXCUA Ref: One of my customers has posed the following question in another forum... "Does REXXCUA require updates for YR 2000? If so, will they be made? One of my customers has determined, for example that the 'date,usa' edit function will not accept 00 as the year. Will this be remedied?" ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 14:16:51 on 97/10/06 GMT (by ACLARK at ELINK) <10279> Subject: Use of Staging DASD (was Sharing TAPE CU - Y2K and other System) Ref: Append at 16:22:49 on 97/10/05 GMT (by SHERRY at SJFEVMX) Hi Sherry, Thanks for your concern. As you said, the staging volume is offline at all times except during a copy. The production system copies the entire volume to the staging DASD and no one is supposed to try to read from it on the production system. It does seem likely that sloppyness could introduce problems but people aren't willing to use more rigid solutions of tape... until we have the first problem I guess. I'll print off this thread so our MVS Sys. Prog. can at least think about it some more. Adrian Clark - Sears Canada Inc. IBMMAIL(CASRSAJC) / aclark@null.net ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:57:51 on 97/10/06 GMT (by DASMITH at STLVM20) <10280> Subject: Y2K support in C/370 etc. Ref: Append at 10:23:51 on 97/10/06 GMT (by FUNSP at KULVM) Hello, Customers interested in information about migrating from non-year-2000- ready PL/I (e.g. OS PL/I V1) to year-2000-ready PL/I (e.g. PL/I for MVS & VM) should consult the IBM PL/I for MVS & VM Compiler and Run-Time Migration Guide Release 1.1 (SC26-3118-01). Also, this guide points to other PL/I and Language Environment books that will be useful . . . Kind regards, Don A. Smith IBM PL/I development ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 17:03:24 on 97/10/06 GMT (by Y2KTSC2 at STLVM6) <10281> Subject: Y2K support in C/370 etc. Ref: Append at 10:23:51 on 97/10/06 GMT (by FUNSP at KULVM) < While I know that there's a certain version/release for each language < product which is year 2000 ready, I'm hoping that there's a document < somewhere which describes what the programmers need to do when < migrating from a non Y2K ready version of a language to a Y2K ready < version, to make the application Y2K ready. This includes what are the < changes in the language which provide this support and how to migrate < or make use of these features. Each language has a Migration Guide associated with each release. For example, COBOL has the Compiler and Run-Time Migration Guide, GC26-4764, available. Inside each Migration Guide are complete details for how to migrate from earlier releases to the current release. There is also a Migration Guide for the run time library, Language Environment. This guide outlines the steps necessary to migrate to a new runtime environment. The C/C++ Compiler and Run-Time Migration Guide, SC09-2002, details information on C/C++. You can order these manuals seperately by calling 800-426-2255 and asking for the manual number. Or, you can order the MVS collection kit and get them all. The MVS collection kit is manual number SK2T-0710. On another note, you might be interested in the COBOL and CICS Conversion Aid tool. This IBM tool converts most COBOL source code automatically. Specific questions onlanguage migrations should be directed to the appropriate forum for that language. Year 2000 Technical Support Center (TSC2) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 22:17:29 on 97/10/06 GMT (by EHRMAN at STLVM27) <10282> Subject: Y2K support in C/370 etc. Ref: Append at 10:23:51 on 97/10/06 GMT (by FUNSP at KULVM) <10277> > In fact, my customer would like to have such info for other languages > like Cobol, Fortran, HLASM, and OS PL/I. High Level Assembler (HLASM) has been year-2000 ready since its inital release in 1992. ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 00:42:23 on 97/10/07 GMT (by MLEUNG at ISSCAUS) <10283> Subject: product list for OS/390 Only last week, I printed off from the web a list of the MVS platform products (operating sytsems and middleware) that are year 2000 ready: http://year2000.argentina.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/y2ibmpps/1.1 I can't seem to find it this morning navigating through the year 2000 home page ... lucky I know the URL and got there directly ... Also when I tried to use the database, I got: > The IBM Year 2000 Product Readiness Application is temporarily > unavailable due to application or database maintenance. > Please try again later. 1/ could a message be put out about when the data base will be available next time (like 3 hours to go ...) 2/ Would it be possible to make it easier finding a comprehensive list of year-2000-ready products as well as using the database ? Thanks. Mark Leung IBM Global Services Australia mnmLeung@vnet.ibm.com Managed Operations +61-2-9354-4341(voice) +61-2-9354-7766(FAX) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 09:02:47 on 97/10/07 GMT (by MSHEWELL at SYDVMXA2) <10284> Subject: product list for OS/390 Ref: Appended at 00:42:23 on 97/10/07 GMT (by MLEUNG at ISSCAUS) Mark, The list of MVS products that you were referring to is an excerpt from Appendix A from previous versions of the IBM Planning Guide. This has basically been superseded by the Product Readiness Database at the following URL: http://wwwyr2k.raleigh.ibm.com/ The reason for the change is that the database is far more complete in terms of the thousands and thousands of IBM products which are currently in use today. It can also be more readily updated as new products that come to the market can be added to the Year 2000 database immediately without having to wait for the next version of the Planning Guide to be released. As you noticed the database will occasionally go down for maintenance such as backups. The problem here is with people using it all around the world someone will always be effected. With this in mind a time was chosen that tried to be the least disruptive to all geographies. The maintenance period is generally fairly quick and is being improved upon all the time. With regards to finding lists of products, if you have the product numbers one of the easiest way is to use the "Input Product #" option. Here you can enter the list of product numbers (cut and paste works) and then hit the "Add Products" button to generate them into the report. Regards Year 2000 Technical Support Center - Asia Pacific Internet: y2ktscap@vnet.ibm.com VNET: Y2KTSCAP at SYDVMXA2 ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 11:36:34 on 97/10/07 GMT (by LESK at SPPVM1) <10285> Subject: Y2K readiness status of REXXCUA Ref: Append at 13:48:28 on 97/10/06 GMT (by SORBER at ENDVM5) REXXCUA (now known as CUA2001) is not Y2K ready and will NOT be upgraded since it is out of maintenance. See the CUA2001 CFORUM. Les Koehler Advantis - Config Mgt. Development Tampa, Florida Sent on 7Oct1997 at 07:36:33 EDT ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 11:52:01 on 97/10/07 GMT (by GBCBHG00 at ELINK) <10286> Subject: Use of Staging DASD (was Sharing TAPE CU - Y2K and other System) Ref: Append at 14:16:51 on 97/10/06 GMT (by ACLARK at ELINK) Adrian & Sherry (and anyone else) We are planning to use a similar method to enable data transfer between a Plroduction system and a time machine We vary a dasd volume online to the production system, copy data on to it vary it off the production system and the vary it onto the time machine. One the time machine is finished the volume is re-initailise (offline) from the production system to ensure that no contamination (dat or data - the MVS systems are at significantly different levels and the production system does not contain toleration for the time machine SW levels). There are no shared catalogs used. This is a manual process (vary on/copy/vary off/vary on read/init) and unless properly controlled could prove problematic. Are others using this method for transfering data. If so how do you intend to enforce the controls required. This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Peter Gammage Tel 0141-204 2737 SEMA Group Outsourcing Fax 0141-204 2523 1 Atlantic Quay Broomielaw, Glasgow G2-8JE Email: Peter.Gammage@mail.sema.co.uk ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 12:14:35 on 97/10/07 GMT (by GBCDLV00 at ELINK) <10287> Subject: Use of Staging DASD (was Sharing TAPE CU - Y2K and other System) Ref: Append at 14:16:51 on 97/10/06 GMT (by ACLARK at ELINK) Hello, This is a bit trivial, but you are probably safer using sequential files to copy data, not VSAM. Then you can hard code volsers and ignore catalog and VVDS entries, so you only have to worry about the VTOC. Chris Kendon This append was created on the External IBMLink system by E Midlands Electric ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 13:57:46 on 97/10/07 GMT (by DEDATE17 at ELINK2) <10288> Subject: Use of Staging DASD (was Sharing TAPE CU - Y2K and other System) Ref: Append at 12:14:35 on 97/10/07 GMT (by GBCDLV00 at ELINK) Hi there all, thanks all for the response, we also decided to use "staging DASD" for the initial setup of the time machine system (we have to copy approx 1.2 TB datas), but the channels will be disconnected after the initial copy. So we looked for a way to get datas into the time machine. One way will be the tapes (seperated robot). Another way will be a data transfer utility. This is the product Bulk Data Tranfer (included in OS/390) or the Netview File Transfer (Copies VSAM DS, too). The datas will be driven thru the VTAM CTC to the time machine and new allocated there. I think, this way is saver, than the "staging DASD" way. Sure, when never taking the volume online without an init, nothing can happen, but when forgetting the init, what happens then ? Good Luck to you all. PS: Our Y2K environment: 1 CPU with min. 100 MIPS 1.2 TB DASD 1 STK silo with 4.000 cassettes 1 CF connection to an outbound LAN 2000 via isdn connection to an inbound LAN 2000 via 3172 (Client Server Test) We will test our full productive environment with all databases, CICS transactions and batch jobs (about 40.000 programs). This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Thomas Engler, System Programmer DATEV eG, Paumgartnerstr. 6-14, 90329 Nuernberg Tel: 49-911/276-3431 Fax: 49-911/276-5559 Internet E-Mail: Thomas.Engler¹datev.de ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 19:57:27 on 97/10/07 GMT (by MSMITH4 at DETVMIC1) <10289> Subject: Data Aging Tool for Year2000 testing purposes Am working with a customer who has asked if IBM has a tool that does data aging. (Easily change data dates instead of having to do it manually, such as changing data so it appears that it was entered/created on February 11, 2004) Would appreciate input on any tools that will do this. Thank you. Mike Smith - Techline - T/L 542-1981 ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 20:32:34 on 97/10/07 GMT (by JSCULL at STLVM6) <10290> Subject: Y2K support in C/370 etc. Ref: Append at 10:23:51 on 97/10/06 GMT (by FUNSP at KULVM) In reference to: I read your question a different way and figured you wanted some tips on how to modify your code to solve Year 2000 problems. Examples: If your program is currently using a minimum of PL/I 2.3 you could change uses of the DATE builtin function to use the DATETIME builtin function instead. This would provide you with a 4 digit year system date. system date. If you are using COBOL II 4.0 you could apply PN-76666 and get a new function that will return a 4 digit system date (also works with newer Language Environment runtime (LE) - see PN-84080 and PN-85139). Also with COBOL II Rel 4 (should work for 3.x too) you can dynamically call services within the Language Environment for OS/390 (LE) runtime to handle date functions. One such service provides "windowing" that will allow a 2 digit year variable to be treated as a 4 digit year variable during processing without having to expand the field in the program or in files or databases. Callable services within LE can be used by PL/I, COBOL, C and Assembler. PL/I should be a minimum compiled version of PL/I for MVS & VM. (It may work to dynamically call the LE services from PL/I 2.3, but that is not documented, nor supported by IBM). COBOL can be COBOL II 3.x or better, COBOL/370, COBOL for MVS & VM or COBOL for OS/390. ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 20:51:15 on 97/10/07 GMT (by PIZZAZZ at STLVM20) <10291> Subject: Y2K support in C/370 etc. Ref: Append at 10:23:51 on 97/10/06 GMT (by FUNSP at KULVM) There is a BookManager server on the Web. Check there for the migration books you are looking for. Some of the URLs: Book Server: http://ppdbooks.pok.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/bookmgr.cmd/Shelves COBOL Migration Guide http://ppdbooks.pok.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/bookmgr.cmd/books/igymg102/contents Language Environment Run-Time Migration Guide http://ppdbooks.pok.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/bookmgr.cmd/books/ceea601/contents (PL/I) Compiler and Run-Time Migration Guide http://ppdbooks.pok.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/bookmgr.cmd/BOOKS/IBM3M101/CCONTENTS C/C++ MVS Compiler and Run-Time Migration Guide http://ppdbooks.pok.ibm.com:80/cgi-bin/bookmgr/bookmgr.cmd/BOOKS/CBCMMG01/CCONTENTS Karen R. Barney ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 08:59:08 on 97/10/08 GMT (by DERUV708 at ELINK) <10292> Subject: Data Aging Tool for Year2000 testing purposes Ref: Append at 19:57:27 on 97/10/07 GMT (by MSMITH4 at DETVMIC1) Mike. We're evaluating FIleAid/DataAger by Compuware, which hopefully do the job needed. No experience so far.... Tool costs about 45k US$ here in germany, but this depends on machine-/processortype your running it on. Hope it helps This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Winfried Rohr Certified OS/2 Engineer TeamOS/2 Deutschland Quality Development at R+V Versicherung ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 13:33:23 on 97/10/08 GMT (by GBCBHG00 at ELINK) <10293> Subject: Use of Staging DASD (was Sharing TAPE CU - Y2K and other System) Ref: Append at 12:14:35 on 97/10/07 GMT (by GBCDLV00 at ELINK) Thanks Chris, Effectivelly thats what we will be doing. All data going to the staging disk will be DFDSS DUMPS of the source datasets. They will therefore be sequential files which will be used as input to a DFDSS restore on to the target datasets on the time machine. This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Peter Gammage Tel 0141-204 2737 SEMA Group Outsourcing Fax 0141-204 2523 1 Atlantic Quay Broomielaw, Glasgow G2-8JE Email: Peter.Gammage@mail.sema.co.uk ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 22:56:04 on 97/10/08 GMT (by WMORGAN at SFOVMIC1) <10295> Subject: Data Aging Tool for Year2000 testing purposes Ref: Append at 19:57:27 on 97/10/07 GMT (by MSMITH4 at DETVMIC1) I haven't personally used it, but at Transformation/2000 class they covered the Gladstone Tool as a tool that will both 'find' date fields within your data and theoretically could 'age' this data. Obviously, application expertise is required here. You might try contacting Howard Hess of the Year 2000 CoC. He specializes in tools evaluation. I think he's in Chicago. Not sure if he can help. Most projects unfortunately are not at that phase of testing yet. Bill MORGAN WMORGAN at SFOVMIC1 ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 22:56:42 on 97/10/08 GMT (by Y2KTSC3 at STLVM6) <10294> Subject: Y2K support in C/370 etc. Ref: Append at 10:23:51 on 97/10/06 GMT (by FUNSP at KULVM) >While I know that there's a certain version/release for each language >product which is year 2000 ready, I'm hoping that there's a document >somewhere which describes what the programmers need to do when >migrating from a non Y2K ready version of a language to a Y2K ready >version, to make the application Y2K ready. This includes what are the >changes in the language which provide this support and how to migrate >or make use of these features. For COBOL, please see an article in the COBOL newsletter on the WEB at: http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/cobol/news.htm The article is called: OS/VS COBOL and VS COBOL II Programs and the Year 2000 Year 2000 Technical Support Center ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 11:19:41 on 97/10/09 GMT (by 86695013 at EHONE) <10296> Subject:Date Ageing RACF database for Year2000 testing purposes Does anyone know of any customers who have successfully (or otherwise) Date Aged a copy of their production RACF database on their Year2000 test LPAR? I have discussed this with 1 other customer who simply cloned the database and disabled 'revocation' and 'expiration' and it worked fine. However, my current customer wants to test other areas of RACF too and is interested in the answer to the above question. ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 11:46:27 on 97/10/09 GMT (by WFARRELL at KGNVMC) <10297> Subject: Date Ageing RACF database for Year2000 testing purposes Ref: Append at 11:19:41 on 97/10/09 GMT (by 86695013 at EHONE) Reply-To: wfarrell at ibmusm10 What "other areas" of RACF do they want to test? Walt Farrell Internet: wfarrell@us.ibm.com IBMMAIL: USIB3H89 ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:08:44 on 97/10/09 GMT (by 86695013 at EHONE) <10298> Subject: Date Ageing RACF database for Year2000 testing purposes Ref: Append at 11:46:27 on 97/10/09 GMT (by WFARRELL at KGNVMC) Walt, Have discussed requirements with customer and can paint the following picture.... Customer has temporary userids with expiry dates Customer has granted temporary access to data within their organisation By simply disabling 'expiration' and 'revocation' they feel they will not be testing the above two facilities. They want to know if they can 'AGE' their RACF database so that it is effectively a 100% clone of their current production database except that the date will have moved forward 24 months. If 'AGEING' is not technically possible then if you have any alternative solutions my customer can use, please let me know. Hope this helps.........Andy ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 18:33:55 on 97/10/09 GMT (by SORBER at ENDVM5) <10299> Subject: Web Report Ref: I was looking for info on some particular products at your web site and had some of the results some back with platform/opsys combos that I'm not sure how to interpret. Would you please help me to understand what the following combos mean? ... Platform Op Sys -------- ------ (Blank) OTHER S/390 (Blank) S/390 OTHER (Blank) (Blank) SVCS OTHER ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 21:21:28 on 97/10/09 GMT (by VMEGLER at SFOVMIC1) <10300> Subject: Data Aging Tool for Year2000 testing purposes Ref: Append at 19:57:27 on 97/10/07 GMT (by MSMITH4 at DETVMIC1) We've been using FileAid to do this for the past year. We are lucky in that USB's backup processes allow them to use the databases/files for December 31 last year, Feb 28 this year, etc, and the analysts merely have to change the year. This is a simpler scenario than 'add 2 years, 3 months and 15 days to all dates'. We've also used Gladstone to analyze the data files for date fields and formats, but have not used it's 'date roll-forward' facilities. VM ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 21:24:13 on 97/10/09 GMT (by VMEGLER at SFOVMIC1) <10301> Subject: Separate Network for Testing Some time ago, someone (on this Forum, I thought) was doing a poll of who had set up separate networks for their testing, and what the results were. Who was that person? What were the results? And where did the pruned archive file for this forum go? I can't seem to find it anywhere... VM ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 02:31:58 on 97/10/10 GMT (by MA01048 at ELINK1) <10302> Subject: Data Aging Tool for Year2000 testing purposes Ref: Append at 19:57:27 on 97/10/07 GMT (by MSMITH4 at DETVMIC1) Hi, The latest release of StarTool (5.2.1) has date manipulation support as well. We call this component StarWarp and you can create controls for the batch program interactively from a copybook in StarTool. For more information, see WWW.STARTOOL.COM Bruce Leland SERENA Software International ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 02:39:11 on 97/10/10 GMT (by MA01048 at ELINK1) <10303> Subject: What are nine's complement dates used for? Hi, I am working on a Y2K project and I saw references to dates stored in nine complement notation. I imagine that a date like 1999/10/09 would be stored as 80028990 after the subtraction from all nines. Is this correct? What types of applications use these dates and what are they used for? Thanks, Bruce Leland SERENA Software International ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 05:24:36 on 97/10/10 GMT (by ANGUSK at SYDVMXA2) <10304> Subject: Data Aging Tool for Year2000 testing purposes Ref: Append at 19:57:27 on 97/10/07 GMT (by MSMITH4 at DETVMIC1) There are two IBM products you might be interested in - it depends what you mean by Data Aging - comparing data as if it is aged or actually ransforming the data to a new value. 1. Enhanced SuperC Enhanced SuperC is a File Comparison and Search Facility provided as part of the HLASM Toolkit (for those of you familiar with the SuperC product available as part of ISPF, Enhanced SuperC is based upon that product). SuperC allows you to compare two files and intelligently identify the differences between them. For example, you can compare a file produced by a current program with one produced by a new version of the program which has your year 2000 changes. If these two files are identical then chances are you haven't introduced any bugs in the new version. With Enhanced SuperC, this comparison can cater for changes to the format of date fields between the two files. For example, if you choose to expand your year fields in the new file you indicate this to Enhanced SuperC, allowing the year 97 to compare equal with 1997. Enhanced SuperC will be available, via PTF, shortly; the PTF numbers are UQ09985 for MVS, UQ09947 for VM, and UQ09948 for VSE. 2. DFSORT DFSORT/MVS and DFSORT/VSE have some new Year 2000 enhancements which are available via PTF. Among the features DFSORT offers is to perform transformation of date fields. You can read up about these features at http://www.storage.ibm.com/software/sort/srtmy2p.htm for MVS (or .../srtvy2p.htm for VSE); or look at IBM's Year 2000 Web Page at http://www.software.ibm.com/year2000 Angus King ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 10:47:21 on 97/10/10 GMT (by GBAIMI10 at ELINK) <10305> Subject: What are nine's complement dates used for? Ref: Append at 02:39:11 on 97/10/10 GMT (by MA01048 at ELINK1) Bruce, Dates are usually stored in this way to sequence records with the most recent first. The 9s complement of the date being part of a record key. If the date is stored with 4 character year then todays date would be stored as 99999999 - 19971010 = 80028989. This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Glyn Armstrong. Icom Solutions Ltd. 0121-356 8383 Ext335 ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 12:58:25 on 97/10/10 GMT (by WFARRELL at KGNVMC) <10307> Subject: Date Ageing RACF database for Year2000 testing purposes Ref: Append at 15:08:44 on 97/10/09 GMT (by 86695013 at EHONE) Reply-To: wfarrell at ibmusm10 The customer would need to manually select profiles and issue commands to change the expiration dates if they want to verify operation with profiles that contain expiration dates beyond in 2000 and beyond. Alternatively, they can process the output of RACF's database unload with a program in their preferred programming language, find expiration dates, and generate RACF commands to change those dates. They would, of course, want to actually run the commands after they'd IPLed their Y2K test system. (And they should, of course, use a copy of the RACF database, not their live database, for any Y2K testing.) With a little work, they could also select out any output records from database unload that contain expiration dates, massage the dates, and then run the subset of records through the DBSYNC tool to generate the commands. To find DBSYNC, visit RACF's home page at http://www.s390.ibm.com/racf Walt Farrell Internet: wfarrell@us.ibm.com IBMMAIL: USIB3H89 ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 13:00:21 on 97/10/10 GMT (by SORBER at ENDVM5) <10306> Subject: CUA2001 Replacement One of my customers has expressed concern over CUA2001 not being Y2k ready. Given that it will not be made y2k ready, what is the replacement product that we're offering our customers? "In REXXCUA FORUM on IBMVM, this question has been asked and has not been answered. Surely someone in IBM knows the answer to this! And this question must be answered (and CUA2001 needs to be Year 2000 enabled) due to the large number of applications that use it! So, can someone figure this out before the General Panic starts??" ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:44:33 on 97/10/10 GMT (by LESK at SPPVM1) <10308> Subject: CUA2001 Replacement Ref: Append at 13:00:21 on 97/10/10 GMT (by SORBER at ENDVM5) One would have to assume ISPF (yuck!) Les Koehler IGN/NS - Config Mgt. Development Tampa, Florida Sent on 10Oct1997 at 12:44:33 EDT ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:50:47 on 97/10/10 GMT (by LESK at SPPVM1) <10309> Subject: CUA2001 Replacement Ref: Append at 13:00:21 on 97/10/10 GMT (by SORBER at ENDVM5) See my appends to CUA2001 CFORUM. Les Koehler IGN/NS - Config Mgt. Development Tampa, Florida Sent on 10Oct1997 at 12:50:46 EDT ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 21:00:41 on 97/10/10 GMT (by CROBERTS at BLDVMA) <10310> Subject: IMS screen paging correctly for date We are having trouble getting a screen to page with the date in the correct order. The first 3 parts of the key are identical, and the date is the defining element. A key that matches up to the date can have 30 or more records made unique by date. ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:44:35 on 97/10/13 GMT (by SCOFIELD at STLVM6) <10311> Subject: What are nine's complement dates used for? Ref: Append at 02:39:11 on 97/10/10 GMT (by MA01048 at ELINK1) Complementing the key consisting of a date-time was a technique that forced the most recently added record to the beginning of the database. It was done for "performance reasons". Unfortunately, this simple technique will no longer work with two digit years after 1999. ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 17:43:56 on 97/10/13 GMT (by Y2KTSC2 at STLVM6) <10312> Subject: What are nine's complement dates used for? Ref: Append at 02:39:11 on 97/10/10 GMT (by MA01048 at ELINK1) Bruce, You asked what kinds of applications use the nines compliment for of date storage. Nines compliment is basically a performance enhancing scheme. For example, suppose you have a system where data for an entire year is stored. Dates are stored (and sorted) in ascending order. So, earlier dates come before later dates - 19971010 comes before 19971011. Now, if you're like most companies, the highest activity on these records comes from the most recent records. i.e. You process more more records from October 1997 than you do from January 1997. This means that for random accesses to a particular record, you have to search through all of the January-September records before you get to the October records. This is a tremendous waste of time! So, if you "compliment" the records by subtracting them from 99999999, you reverse the storage order of the records. i.e. 19971010 becomes 80028989 and 19971011 becomes 80028988. Now, the most recent records are stored at the beginning of the file or database! Year 2000 Technical Support Center (TSC2) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 21:10:47 on 97/10/13 GMT (by CABEG at RALVM17) <10313> Subject: What are nine's complement dates used for? Ref: Append at 17:43:56 on 97/10/13 GMT (by Y2KTSC2 at STLVM6) <10312> Could anyone comment on the feasability and dangers involved with DDF attachments between a development DB2 and the DB2 on the Y2K LPAR? The team on engagment here has built a tracking database in DB2 for objects that have moved to the 2K testing environment and they would like to access said data from the Y2K DB2 as well as the customer's "normal" development environment. Thanks George Cabe - IBM Global Services ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 21:13:48 on 97/10/13 GMT (by CABEG at RALVM17) <10314> Subject: DB2/DDF/Y2K Prior append had nothing to do with 9's complement (obviously!) Please excuse my mistake. Thanks. George Cabe - IBM Global Services ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 06:59:43 on 97/10/14 GMT (by LAURAG at SYDVMXA2) <10315> Subject: Readiness of ESCON Director (and Console) Ref: Append at 13:16:38 on 97/09/18 GMT (by ACLARK at ELINK) Below is information gathered from several IBM sources about using PS/2s as consoles for an ESCON Director. The ESCON Director hardware (including the console) has been certified as Year 2000 Ready. The piece-parts of any S/390 product have been Year 2000 tested (and certified) under a product machine type model, to functionally support that machine type model. In the given example of a PS/2 used as the console for an ESCON Director - the PS/2 is Year 2000 ready. If the console in turn takes on additional function (beyond use as the ESCON Director console), the added function has not been tested nor certified under the original machine type / model number and needs to be certified with other software/function in its alternate application. With respect to the ESCON Directors, the following machine types / model numbers are Year 2000 Ready :- 9032/002 9032/003 -> (see note below) 9033/001 9033/004 9034/001 note: the 9032/003 maintains a local audit trail on one of the console diskettes. This audit trail records the time, date and password. Dates are displayed with a two digit year. Dates are input with four digit year. Internally dates are stored and calculated using a 32 bit code. Please refer to earlier append (01:40:34 on 97/09/18 GMT by LAURAG at SYDVMXA2) for information regarding software. Year 2000 Technical Support Center - Asia Pacific Internet: y2ktscap@vnet.ibm.com VNET: Y2KTSCAP at SYDVMXA2 ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 12:00:30 on 97/10/14 GMT (by AS103187 at ELINK) <10316> Subject: 3745 Y2K support. I have a question about the Y2K readiness of the 3745. I had occasion recently to look at ELD records in the MOSS of some of our 3745's. Theserecords had been gathered over a 30 month period. I had difficulty in determining whether the records were cut in 1995, 1996 or 1997! All that was displayed in the date field was a MM/DD(or was it a DD/MM?) Comments anyone? Do these records contain the Year data and the user interface currently does not display it ? (Gee, this may not really be a Y2K question!)! And, what about the 3720 and 3725? Both these devices are in hardware support. Thanks for any input (particularly from La Gaude). John This append was created on the External IBMLink system by John Johnston phone +61 2 9902 5910 Technical Consultant (VTAM and NCP Sysprog) fax +61 2 9902 5111 Westpac Banking Corporation______________internet jjohnston@westpac.com.au Sydney, Australia IBMMAIL ID:- AUWBCRJJ ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 11:57:02 on 97/10/15 GMT (by NLX3951 at UITVM1) <10319> Subject: What are nine's complement dates used for? Ref: Append at 17:43:56 on 97/10/13 GMT (by Y2KTSC2 at STLVM6) Living with 2-digit years around the 80's probably makes 9's complement suitable for direct access in some type of sparse array. It probably is not trivial to change an application that uses that. Rob van der Heij ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 13:51:54 on 97/10/15 GMT (by 91421410 at EHONE) <10320> Subject:SYSTEM/88 Could some one point me to a document that indicates if the SYSTEM/88 is year 2000 ready or not please. Regards Jim Dunn Internet jimd@vnet.ibm.com ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:04:02 on 97/10/15 GMT (by GBCEQG01 at ELINK) <10321> Subject: X-LPAR Corruptions when resetting LPAR Date Ref: Append at 16:55:03 on 97/09/17 GMT (by WFARRELL at KGNVMC) I have now performed a yr2k date change test on our box. I forward the date by IPL and SET DATE and I revert by SET DATE and by LPAR DEACTIVATE/REACTIVATE and didn't find any problems. This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Simon Hutchings Senior Technical Specialist Nationwide Building Society Tel. 01793-455740 ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 17:52:30 on 97/10/15 GMT (by GBALZ at WASVMIC1) <10322> Subject: Clean Management Process Guide My customer heard of a "Clean Management Process Guide for Applications Development" which was mentioned at the IBM Year 2000 Technical Conference recently held in Orlando. It's apparently available via a VM Tools command. Does anyone know how to get access to this document so I can see what's in it? Thank you! Gerry Balz ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 11:31:54 on 97/10/16 GMT (by GBCBHG00 at ELINK) <10323> Subject: X-LPAR Corruptions when resetting LPAR Date Ref: Append at 16:04:02 on 97/10/15 GMT (by GBCEQG01 at ELINK) Simon, 1) When you set the date forward at IPL are you replying to the operator date/time prompt IEA888A ¶GMT DATE=...,CLOCK=...Ù LOCAL DATE=...,CLOCK=.. with R 00,DATE=..,CLOCK=...,GMT ? Please note the GMT 2) When you revert back in time do you re-ipl and reply as above or are you just resetting the time with the MVS operator set time command? This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Peter Gammage Tel 0141-204 2737 SEMA Group Outsourcing Fax 0141-204 2523 1 Atlantic Quay Broomielaw, Glasgow G2-8JE Email: Peter.Gammage@mail.sema.co.uk ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 14:24:47 on 97/10/16 GMT (by RATHOMAS at BOSTON) <10324> Subject: Product Readiness Database Error? I went to the Product Readiness page, did a search on the following criteria: Platform - AS/400, Operating System - OS/400, and Category - Op. System SW. The "Search in progress" message appeared for several seconds, and the next message was "No products were found matching the current search criteria. Please respecify." Is there some reason this search argument doesn't return any hits? Rich Thomas (RATHOMAS at BOSTON, ratso@vnet.ibm.com) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 02:06:21 on 97/10/21 GMT (by KWANMK at SGPVM1) <10325> Subject: OS390 R2 Hi, I read from the previous appends in this forum and found the following statement : OS390 R2 Year 2000 ready No PTFs required. However, I found the following list of PTFs that are meant for fmids (HBB6601, JBB66N2, etc) which are the FMIDs for OS390 R2. UW38785, UW24977, UW23913, UW29080, UW22851, UW23059, UW25371, UW28980 UW28981, UW26672, UW27534, UW90339, UW30092, UW31253, UW29012, UW30078 UW29006, UW31075, UW31076, UW31068, UW31077. Please help to verify this. Thank you. Ming Ket IBM Singapore ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 14:33:41 on 97/10/21 GMT (by FRAVEL at SFOVMIC1) <10326> Subject: OS390 R2 Ref: Append at 02:06:21 on 97/10/21 GMT (by KWANMK at SGPVM1) My customer is looking to develop standards for Y2K by programming language. Where can I find info on standards for Y2K other than the ISO date formats. Has anyone gone through this exercise? Also is there any independent body who will issue certification that companies are Y2K compliant or at least have made the effort and this is for legal purposes? Help appreciated. ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 07:28:20 on 97/10/22 GMT (by SE04323 at STOVM1) <10327> Subject: SMF record-dumping Ref: Append at 10:27:48 on 97/06/16 GMT (by WAWA001 at EHONE7) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 14:46:31 on 97/10/22 GMT (by 86695013 at EHONE) <10328> Subject: Year2000 testing and Sysplex Timer and MAS My customer is about to upgrade to OS/390 R2 which will force them to implement a MAS environment with Sysplex Timers as a result of what they are referring to as JES2 V6 (their terminology for the JES2 in OS/390 R2 bundle). They will therefore be running a MAS with Sysplex Timer on current date and time on 2 physical processors. They also need the ability to run another MAS on the same processors with a date and time into the future (to enable them to run their Year2000 testing LPARS) The question is....HOW DO THEY DO THIS? I have hunted through various fora to see if anyone has asked this before but with no success. Apologies if I am guilty of not looking in the correct place. Is it also fair to say that my customer will be one of numerous customers who will be 'forced' into this situation by OS/390 R2 and JES2 V6? ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 14:48:42 on 97/10/22 GMT (by DEAK at BLDVMA) <10329> Subject: Date Field Expansion vs. Windowing Can anyone comment on what the preferred method is for solving the Year 2000 problem and why one method is preferred over another? ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 14:52:40 on 97/10/22 GMT (by DHONDY at PK705VMA) <10330> Subject: Year2000 testing and Sysplex Timer and MAS Ref: Append at 14:46:31 on 97/10/22 GMT (by 86695013 at EHONE) Refer to: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/SG242070/y2000.html It contains information to address the issues associated with supplying the time source for the year 2000 testing environment. NOSHIR DHONDY S/390 Parallel Center ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:04:32 on 97/10/22 GMT (by GAD at KGNVMC) <10331> Subject: Year2000 testing and Sysplex Timer and MAS Ref: Append at 14:46:31 on 97/10/22 GMT (by 86695013 at EHONE) Basic answer- you can not do it across multiple processors in any configuration. There *is* new support coming for some 9672 and Multiprise processors which allows multiple LPAR partitions on the *same* processor to have their times syncronized to a user specified date and time for testing purposes like this. This new support is the only way to build a test sysplex like you have described while running the production systems on the same machine with the date set from the ETR. Greg Dyck MVS BCP Kernel and CURE Support ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 15:09:01 on 97/10/22 GMT (by GAD at KGNVMC) <10332> Subject: Date Field Expansion vs. Windowing Ref: Append at 14:48:42 on 97/10/22 GMT (by DEAK at BLDVMA) Each has it's pro's and con's. There is no one perfect or recommended solution. It really depends on a lot of things and I don't think anyone can give a simple answer. I could problem spend a couple of hours on the reasons for or against each, and I'm not even an expert in the area. Greg Dyck MVS BCP Kernel and CURE Support ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 17:37:34 on 97/10/22 GMT (by PIZZAZZ at STLVM20) <10333> Subject: Date Field Expansion vs. Windowing Ref: Append at 14:48:42 on 97/10/22 GMT (by DEAK at BLDVMA) There is coverage of the pro and cons in the VisualAge 2000 Y2K Web material at http://www.software.ibm.com/ad/va2000/y2k Choose "Inventory and Assessment" on the home page, then the "Start" tab In the left-hand navigation frame, click on "Launching" then "Approaches" Karen R. Barney ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 22:03:52 on 97/10/22 GMT (by Y2KTSC5 at STLVM6) <10334> Subject: SYSTEM/88 Ref: Append at 13:51:54 on 97/10/15 GMT (by 91421410 at EHONE) Search in the Product Readiness Database at INTERNET URL: http://wwwyr2k.raleigh.ibm.com or INTRANET URL: http://yr2kprod1.raleigh.ibm.com for Product Readiness. The System/88 is in the database. Year 2000 Technical Support Center (TSC5) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 22:07:35 on 97/10/22 GMT (by Y2KTSC5 at STLVM6) <10335> Subject: Product Readiness Database Error? Ref: Append at 14:24:47 on 97/10/16 GMT (by RATHOMAS at BOSTON) We have sent your question to the Product Readiness Database team and will get back to you. If you need help in searching the database in other ways, call us at 1 800-426-4968 and ask for the Year 2000 Technical Support Center and we will be delighted to assist. Year 2000 Technical Support Center (TSC5) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 22:37:52 on 97/10/22 GMT (by Y2KTSC5 at STLVM6) <10336> Subject: OS390 R2 Ref: Append at 02:06:21 on 97/10/21 GMT (by KWANMK at SGPVM1) We are researching your question and will get back to you. Year 2000 Technical Support Center (TSC5) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 12:35:15 on 97/10/23 GMT (by Y2KTSC5 at STLVM6) <10337> Subject: Product Readiness Database Error? Ref: Append at 14:24:47 on 97/10/16 GMT (by RATHOMAS at BOSTON) Following is the repsonse back from the Product Readiness team: "We are still working on filling the proper categories for many products, AS/400 in particular so there is nothing that is currently marked as operating system software. In the interim, you may want to use the product description field to search on the product name associated with the operating system. Patty Dudek 8-526-0296 DUDEK @ IBMUSM21 or DUDEK @ RALVM12" Year 2000 Technical Support Center (TSC5) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 09:30:04 on 97/10/24 GMT (by LPATON at GNKVM) <10338> Subject: Looking for Year 2000 compliance Help Ref: Append at 13:11:27 on 97/09/03 GMT (by LPATON at GNKVM) To RAY WHEELER ( RWheel@puget.com ) who sent me a note on this subject... Ray...I have made several attempts to respond to you, some responses came back rejected by your "firewall". Did you get a response from me ?. Les Paton (InterNet les_paton@uk.ibm.com) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 18:56:49 on 97/10/24 GMT (by BEUNMS00 at ELINK) <10339> Subject: Year2000 testing and Sysplex Timer and MAS Ref: Append at 14:52:40 on 97/10/22 GMT (by DHONDY at PK705VMA) Noshir, Do you have a idea when the redbook SG24-2070 comes available in hardcopy format or on cdrom (in bookmanager format), I am interested. Thanks, This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Hugo Timmermans Dekeyzer / UNMS-NVSM / Belgium. Voice: (32)-2-5150364 - Fax: (32)-2-5150468 ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 19:02:39 on 97/10/24 GMT (by DHONDY at PK705VMA) <10340> Subject: Year2000 testing and Sysplex Timer and MAS Ref: Append at 18:56:49 on 97/10/24 GMT (by BEUNMS00 at ELINK) I cannot give you a definitive answer, since the ITSO project leader is on a business trip. The target is 4Q97, so real soon, I hope. If I get more info, I will update this append. NOSHIR DHONDY ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 13:23:45 on 97/10/27 GMT (by GBOAKR00 at ELINK) <10341> Subject: EMC TimeFinder Anyone in net land used the EMC TimeFinder product to copy data from a production LPAR to a Y2K LPAR. If so any experiences you yould care to divulge? This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Shawn Grinter Millenium Systems, UK Tel: +44 171 821 6346 Fax: +44 171 976 5769 ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 18:15:14 on 97/10/27 GMT (by Y2KTSC5 at STLVM6) <10342> Subject: Clean Management Process Guide Ref: Append at 17:52:30 on 97/10/15 GMT (by GBALZ at WASVMIC1) Clean Management is Phase 4 of the T2000 Methodology. The guide is only accessible to IBM employees meeting the following criteria: Members of the Year 2000 CoC, and employees of Global Services who have attended T2000 Methodology or Tools training classes. For more information see: http://w3.igsyear2000.ibm.com/search.htm and search on Clean management. Year 2000 Technical Support Center (TSC5) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 02:09:22 on 97/10/28 GMT (by AS103767 at ELINK) <10343> Subject: Year2000 testing and Sysplex Timer and MAS Ref: Append at 15:04:32 on 97/10/22 GMT (by GAD at KGNVMC) >The CLOCKxx member must specify ETRMODE NO, TIMEZONE d.hh.mm.ss, and >OPERATOR PROMPT. When the first message IEA888A is issued respond with >DATE=2000.032,GMT to force the TOD to be set with the new date. > >Greg Dyck >MVS BCP Kernel and CURE support We have set up our Y2K LPAR on the production machine that is connected to a sysplex timer. I was under this impression that if the ETRMODE is NO I can isolate the date/time from the Timer. Is that correct? We are running OS/390 R2 on 9672 R35 (with 4 LPARs) connected to a 9037. Thanks for you comments. This append was created on the External IBMLink system by Kamran Sedghi - Coles Myer LTD, Melbourne, Australia Tel: 61 3 9483 7361 Fax: 61 3 9483 7381 email:kamran.sedghi@colesmyer.com.au ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 18:18:11 on 97/10/28 GMT (by 70694243 at EHONE) <10344> Subject:OGL/370 I have got an Internet error trying to do a software list of year2000- ready IBM products on www.ibm.com/year2000. In fact, I am only interested in knowing if OGL/370 is year2000-ready, (with a specific PTF ?) and I think it could be faster to ask this question here. Any piece of info appreciated, Thanks, Marylene IBM PSS France ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 20:19:07 on 97/10/28 GMT (by Y2KTSC5 at STLVM6) <10345> Subject: OGL/370 Ref: Append at 18:18:11 on 97/10/28 GMT (by 70694243 at EHONE) 5688191 OGL/370 is year 2000 ready. The fastest way to get year 2000 ready information is to email the Year 2000 Technical Support Center (Y2KTSC@US.IBM.COM). PRODUCT READINESS REPORT IBM is pleased to provide you with the following Year 2000 product readiness report. We believe the report will be helpful in guiding your efforts to become Year 2000 ready. IBM has taken reasonable measures to provide accurate information regarding the readiness of our products. However, you should be aware that information regarding Year 2000 can change rapidly. IBM cannot guarantee that the information contained in this report is complete, current or applies in every situation. For questions about information contained in this report or other products not listed in it, please contact your IBM representative or the Year 2000 Technical Support Center at www.software.ibm.com/year2000 (click on the "feedback" icon). PRODUCT: 5688191 OGL/370 1.1.0 S/390 OTHER REL:1.1.0 GA DATE:1990Q4 INDUSTRY: OTHER SW GEOGRAPHY: W/D SERVICE: W/D MARKET: READINESS: Year 2000 Ready DATE: 1997Q1 LATEST REL: Y PTF RQRD: INTERFACE: PRESENTATION: ACTION RQRD: COMMENTS: For PTF information, see Preventive Service Planning Bucket YR2000MVS, YR2000VM, or YR2000VSE. APARs: PTF/CSDs: REPLACEMENT PRODUCT: To help you understand the terms used in this report, please review the "report definition" document which can be found in the product readiness web pages (link from www.ibm.com/year2000). For additional assistance please contact your IBM representative or the Year 2000 Technical Support Center at www.software.ibm.com/year2000. Year 2000 Ready Definition : IBM uses the term "Year 2000 ready" to refer to products that will function correctly into the 21st century. Specifically, "Year 2000 ready" means that "a product, when used in accordance with its associated documentation, is capable of correctly processing, providing and/or receiving date data within and between the 20th and 21st centuries, provided that all products (for example, hardware, software and firmware) used with the product properly exchange accurate date data with it." IBM considers products not ready for Year 2000 if they don't meet the definition set out above, or if they have not been tested. Products not affected by the Year 2000, such as hardware frames, keyboards, power supplies, and hardware or software product publications are considered ready. IBM Position on the Readiness of its Products: For general overview of the ready status of IBM products, please visit the IBM Year 2000 web site at www.ibm.com/year2000. Software Provided with IBM Products: Information referring to the Year 2000 ready status of IBM hardware products refers to hardware only and not to software that may be pre-installed or otherwise provided by IBM with the purchase of IBM hardware. Information on the Year 2000 ready status of IBM software applies to IBM products only. It does not apply to any "as is" or non-IBM software that may be provided along with IBM software products. For non-IBM products, whether or not obtained from IBM, please consult directly with the third party product developer for information about whether the products are Year 2000 ready. In some cases IBM may pass along information that third parties have provided us about the status of their products. However, IBM is not in a position to independently verify, or accept any responsibility for, the accuracy or completeness of such information. Other Important Information: IBM is providing this information to assist you in understanding and addressing your Year 2000 challenge. By providing this data, IBM is not performing a Year 2000 assessment or conversion. You are solely responsible for the implementation of your Year 2000 project and IBM does not guarantee your results. IBM may not offer the products, services and/or features discussed in this in this document in all countries. Consult with your IBM representative for information on the products available in your area. Any reference to an IBM product is not intended to imply that only that IBM product may be used. The information in this report could contain technical inaccuracies or typographical errors, and is subject to change without notice. You are solely responsible for the installation and implementation of any Product Temporary Fix, Customer Service Diskette(s) or other related Year 2000 modification required for an IBM product to be considered Year 2000 Ready. IBM shall not in any way be responsible for your failure to apply such correction. THE DATA IN THIS REPORT OR RELATED COMMUNICATIONS IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES ONLY. IN ADDITION, ALL WARRANTIES ARE HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IBM's obligations and responsibilities regarding IBM products are governed solely by the agreements under which they are sold or licensed. Always check your software license agreements to make sure that you do not infringe the intellectual property rights of others. You must have the consent of the licensor or owner of the software before accessing or modifying it. End of Report Year 2000 Technical Support Center (TSC5) ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 19:03:18 on 97/10/29 GMT (by CHRISTIN at GDLVM7) <10346> Subject: *NEW* VM Course ...open for enrollment...Managing the Year 2000 w/VM (Cross posted to listserv's, IBM forum/cforums....) Announcing the two 1997 opportunities to attend one of the brand new IBM E&T courses for VM: Course number BG940 - Managing the Year 2000 Transformation with VM/ESA Offered twice in 1997.... 11/18/97 - 11/19/97 Tampa, FL 12/09/97 - 12/10/97 Chicago, IL To enroll: 1-800-IBM-TEACh 1-800-426-8322 (This is hot off the press so it may not appear on the IBM training web site yet, but the folks at IBM Teach do know about it and are ready to process your enrollment by phone today.) -------------Course Information ------------------------- BG940 - MANAGING THE YEAR 2000 TRANSFORMATION WITH VM/ESA COURSE NUMBER: BG940 DURATION: 2 Days STATUS: Active FORMAT: Classroom (Traditional stand-up class) DESCRIPTION This course introduces the data processing professional with the challenges that will be faced by the Year 2000. We will discuss the origin, organization, and solution within the framework of VM/ESA AUDIENCE Data Processing managers and technical staff that will be involved in the planning and implementation of Year 2000 solutions. OBJECTIVE - Discuss the origin of the Year 2000 problem - Develop a strategy for handling the problem PREREQUISITES The student should be familiar with common Data Processing terms and knowledgeable of basics VM/ESA functions Regards, Pamela Christina S/390 - VM Marketing Support and Platform Management Endicott, NY *** VM sites: www.vm.ibm.com and w3.vm.ibm.com **** ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 06:49:04 on 97/10/30 GMT (by 73800011 at EHONE) <10347> Subject: CSP V3 - DATE FIELD BLANKS WHEN USING YR2000 CSP V3 According to the IBM WEB Page, CSP V3 is year 2000 ready. However when customer performed a Yr2K test, found was that the date field was left blank. Their testing was as follows, 1. Updated the record U90RWS and U90SP00 with transaction XSPD, status of update was Ok. 2. Received an error message EZE00497A when tried to view U90RWS. . Extracted from report: EZEM76 LIST PROCESSOR EZE00497A OPERAND INVALID OR NOT ALLOWED FOR THIS OPTION ===> ENTER=CONTINUE PF3=EXIT PF4=REFRESH SUBSET: NAME => U90* * TYPE => I MSL # => 1 LIMIT=>0200 OPTIONS: ... TOTAL LINES 0017 ..........MEMBER LIST .........LINES0001 TO 0013 OPT NAME TYPE MSL MODIFICATION/OPERAND TOP OF LIST V U90RWS RECD 1 18:03 U90SP00 PROC 1 18:04 U90SP01 PROC 1 03/20/92 14:40 U90SP02 PROC 1 03/20/92 14:40 . . Have you seen this incidence before? Please advise, thanks. Regards, Lena. ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 09:37:34 on 97/10/31 GMT (by 62410352 at EHONE) <10348> Subject: CSP V3 - DATE FIELD BLANKS WHEN USING YR2000 Ref: Append at 06:49:04 on 97/10/30 GMT (by 73800011 at EHONE) There is a PTF on CSP V3R3 to make it year 2000 ready, have you applied it ? The APARno is PN87466 Kris Buelens, customer VM services IBM Belgium, BUELENSC at BRUVMIS1 ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 16:38:03 on 97/10/31 GMT (by JSCULL at STLVM6) <10349> Subject: CSP V3 - DATE FIELD BLANKS WHEN USING YR2000 Ref: Append at 09:37:34 on 97/10/31 GMT (by 62410352 at EHONE) Question came into Year 2000 Technical Support Center: Full name: Keith Jackson Really from: keith_jackson@aal.org Comments: Phone Number: 920-734-5721 ext. 4098 Company or Organization: Aid Association for Lutherans Question or Comment: We plan to test YRK on a 9672-R74 dedicated LPAR. We will have dedicated DASD & control units but the question has come up about sharing 3490E tape drives between the production LPAR and the Y2K LPAR. Can we share 3490E A20 & B40 tape units without integrity exposures? Thanks for your help. ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 19:43:53 on 97/10/31 GMT (by SHERRY at SJFEVMX) <10350> Subject: CSP V3 - DATE FIELD BLANKS WHEN USING YR2000 Ref: Append at 16:38:03 on 97/10/31 GMT (by JSCULL at STLVM6) There are no integrity exposures when sharing a tape control unit between a current time system and a y2k test system. The only exposure is that, if any errors occur where one needs to look at data collected by EREP, one will need to understand the time difference between the two systems to properly compare the reports. Sherry Goncharsky SSD Year 2000 Representative sgoncha@us.ibm.com ----- YEAR2000 CFORUM appended at 22:58:54 on 97/10/31 GMT (by Y2KTSC3 at STLVM6) <10351> Subject: Date Field Expansion vs. Windowing Ref: Append at 14:48:42 on 97/10/22 GMT (by DEAK at BLDVMA) >Can anyone comment on what the preferred method is for solving the >Year 2000 problem and why one method is preferred over another? The easiest to manage and best performing solution is field expansion to full 4-digit year dates. It works in all cases and requires the least detailed knowledge of an application and its data. For many, the challenge of coordinating the expansion of data bases is prohibitive so they choose a 'less desirable' method, such as windowing. Windowing allows you to get by for a while without database/file changes, but depending on how it is implemented, you can get slightly worse performance or really bad performance when compared to expansion. It is also hard to manage across an enterprise, unless you can pick one window for the entire enterprise to use. Many people are going to windowing, but we are starting to hear complaints about the resulting performance degradation. One way to avoid the perf. degradation is to use 'permanent internal bridges' and actually use field expansion within programs and expand to 4-digit year dates using windowing at the input point. Example: READ INPUT-FILE Convert 2-digit input date to 4-digit year date Existing logic modified to use expanded date variables Convert 4-digit program date to 2-digit output date WRITE OUPUT-RECORD The Millennium Language Extensions that IBM will ship in its COBOL PL/I compilers will provide a very easy way to code and implement permanent internal bridges. Year 2000 Technical Support Center